4.27.2009

Studio Work









Studio photography class, at its beginning was very hard for me. I didn't understand how to use the equipment, and felt very limited and creatively stiffled in the confines of a room. My work usually revolves around natural light, and natural environments, so having to control my light source in a creative and aesthetically pleasing way became a challenge. However, once I got used to the lighting set up, I was able to bring common themes addressed in my larger bodies of work into my studio photographs.
The images coming from my self-lead project (at the top) deal with portraiture in a non-traditional way. I asked my models what body part they feel is their best feature, something that defines the way they look. I started out down this path, wanting to use specific parts of the body defined by a person in order to define their identity in a photo. However, what I found was, when these models got in front of the camera, they became awkward, and insecure, even when showcasing their "best feature." Realizing this, I continued photographing the models in ways that show their discomfort when confronted with a camera, especially when attention is called to a physical part of their bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment